Milford Haven School
Pupil Deprivation Grant Statement
The Pupil Deprivation Grant (PDG) is allocated to schools with pupils who come from low income families and are currently known to be eligible for free school meals (eFSM) and pupils who have been looked after continuously for more than six months (LAC).
Schools are expected to make the best use of this funding to implement sustainable strategies that will quickly bring about changes for learners eligible for free school meals or who are LAC.
In 2014-15, Milford Haven School was provided with a PDG allocation of £194,014.00.
At Milford Haven School we have incorporated the PDG into our whole school development plan supported by the Welsh Government’s Challenge Cymru project which has been approved by both ERW and the Welsh Government. The key priorities within the plan with particular relevance to PDG are:
- To improve attendance of eFSM learners in order to reduce the impact of deprivation on educational attainment
- Address the academic performance of eFSM pupils, particularly at KS4
- Address the curriculum needs of all pupils and remove barriers to learning for learners from deprived backgrounds.
We have used the funding available to:
- Provide specialist support for targeted pupils in English and Maths
- Established an off-site facility to engage with disaffected pupils in order to re-integrate them into mainstream school
- Employ a school community liaison officer to work with targeted pupils and their families to increase attendance, engagement and attainment
- Employ learning coaches to work directly with targeted pupils in 1:1 and small group settings in addition to their normal timetabled lessons
- Employ inclusion support assistants to be an additional link between school and home to improve attendance across all key stages
- Provide intervention and support programmes such as alternative vocational provision and behavioural support programmes
- Provide specific high quality training for school staff focussed on supporting disadvantaged learners, including restorative practice, and training for parents of targeted pupils to ensure that they are fully supported in preparing for and taking external examinations.
Please click on below link for the spending plan of 2015-2016